Future Proof is governed by the Future Proof Implementation Committee. The Committee is made up of two elected members from each partner council and three representatives nominated by tangata whenua - one from the Tainui Waka Alliance, one from Waikato-Tainui and one from Ngā Karu Atua o te Waka.
The Committee has additional representation from the New Zealand Transport Agency and the Waikato District Health Board.
The Committee also has membership for the Hamilton to Auckland Corridor Plan programme. This membership includes Central Government, Auckland Council and Tāmaki Makaurau iwi representation from the Auckland Mana Whenua Kaitiaki Forum.
The Committee is chaired by an Independent Chairperson.
Current members include:
- Independent Chairperson: Bill Wasley
- Hamilton City Council: Mayor Andrew King and Councillor Dave Macpherson
- Waikato Regional Council: Chair Alan Livingston and Councillor Bob Simcock
- Waipa District Council: Mayor Jim Mylchreest and Councillor Liz Stolwyk
- Waikato District Council: Mayor Allan Sanson and Deputy Mayor Dynes Fulton
- Tainui Waka Alliance: Parekawhia McLean
- Ngā Karu Atua o te Waka: Rangipipi Bennett
- Waikato-Tainui: Rukumoana Schaafhausen
- Central government: Minister Twyford and Minister Mahuta
- Auckland Council: Deputy Mayor Bill Cashmore and Franklin Local Board Chairperson Angela Fulljames
- Auckland Mana Whenua Kaitiaki Forum: Ngarimu Blair, Karen Wilson and Gavin Anderson
The Committee meetings are open to the public and are typically held every two months.
The Committee receives advice from Ngā Karu Atua o te Waka, a forum providing input on matters relevant to tāngata whenua. It also receives input from the Waikato Plan and Future Proof Strategic Partners Forum.
The Chief Executives and managers from the partner organisations are responsible for the overall management of Future Proof. The Technical Implementation Group and Water Policy Group work on the implementation tasks from the Future Proof Strategy as well as other relevant matters.